This book – comprised of three separate volumes – presents the recent developments and research discoveries in structural and solid mechanics; it is dedicated to Professor Isaac Elishakoff. This first volume is devoted to the statics and stability of solid and structural members.
Modern Trends in Structural and Solid Mechanics 1 has broad scope, covering topics such as: buckling of discrete systems (elastic chains, lattices with short and long range interactions, and discrete arches), buckling of continuous structural elements including beams, arches and plates, static investigation of composite plates, exact solutions of plate problems, elastic and inelastic buckling, dynamic buckling under impulsive loading, buckling and post-buckling investigations, buckling of conservative and non-conservative systems and buckling of micro and macro-systems.
This book is intended for graduate students and researchers in the field of theoretical and applied mechanics.
1. Static Deformations of Fiber-Reinforced Composite Laminates by the Least-Squares Method, Devin Burns and Romesh C. Batra.
2. Stability of Laterally Compressed Elastic Chains, Andrii Iakovliev, Srinandan Dasmahapatra and Atul Bhaskar.
3. Analysis of a Beck’s Column over Fractional-Order Restraints via Extended Routh–Hurwitz Theorem, Emanuela Bologna, Mario Di Paola, Massimiliano Zingales.
4. Localization in the Static Response of Higher-Order Lattices with Long-Range Interactions, Noël Challamel and Vincent Picandet.
5. New Analytic Solutions for Elastic Buckling of Isotropic Plates, Joseph Tenenbaum, Aharon Deutsch and Moshe Eisenberger.
6. Buckling and Post-Buckling of Parabolic Arches with Local Damage, Ugurcan Eroglu, Giuseppe Ruta, Achille Paolone and Ekrem Tüfekci.
7. Inelastic Microbuckling of Composites by Wave-Buckling Analogy, Rivka Gilat and Jacob Aboudi.
8. Quasi-Bifurcation of Discrete Systems with Unstable Post-Critical Behavior under Impulsive Loads, Mariano P. Ameijeiras and Luis A. Godoy.
9. Singularly Perturbed Problems of Drill String Buckling in Deep Curvilinear Borehole Channels, Valery I. Gulyayev and Natalya V. Shlyun.
10. Shape-optimized Cantilevered Columns under a Rocket-based Follower Force, Yoshihiko Sugiyama, Mikael A. Langthjem and Kazuo Katayama.
11. Hencky Bar-Chain Model for Buckling Analysis and Optimal Design of Trapezoidal Arches, Chien Ming Wang, Wen Hao Pan and Hanzhe Zhang.
Noël Challamel is Professor at the University of Southern Brittany, France. He is the co-author of several books and over a hundred journal papers in the field of mechanics and civil engineering and is on the editorial board of numerous international journals. He is also Editor and Head of the “Solid Mechanics and Mechanical Engineering” series published by ISTE-Wiley.
Julius Kaplunov is Professor at Keele University, UK. He is the co-author of over a hundred publications in mechanics, including three books. He is a member of the European Academy of Sciences and sits on the editorial boards of more than ten journals.
Izuru Takewaki is Professor of building structures at Kyoto University, Japan, and is the 56th President of the Architectural Institute of Japan. He is the Field Chief Editor of Frontiers in Built Environment and has published over 200 international journal papers.
Table of Contents
PDF File 178 Kb